Hi Ben,

The pre-condition for four stage allocation is that we need to put
different resources to different sorters:

1) roleSorter only include non scarce resources.
2) quotaRoleSorter only include non revocable & non scarce resources.
3) revocableSorter only include revocable & non scarce resources. This will
be handled in MESOS-4923 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-4923>
4) scarceSorter only include scarce resources.

Take your case above:
999 agents with (cpus:4,mem:1024,disk:1024)
1 agent with (gpus:1,cpus:4,mem:1024,disk:1024)

The four sorters would be:
1) roleSorter include 1000 agents with (cpus:4,mem:1024,disk:1024)
2) quotaRoleSorter include 1000 agents with (cpus:4,mem:1024,disk:1024)
3) revocableSorter include nothing as I have no revocable resources here.
4) scarceSorter include 1 agent with (gpus:1)

When allocate resources, even if a role got the agent with gpu resources,
its share will only be counter by scarceSorter but not other sorters, and
will not impact other sorters.

The above solution is actually kind of enhancement to "exclude scarce
resources" as the scarce resources also obey the DRF algorithm with this.

This solution can be also treated as diving the whole resources pool
logically to scarce and non scarce resource pool. 1), 2) and 3) will handle
non scarce resources while 4) focus on scarce resources.

Thanks,

Guangya