Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for the response. First time heard of the `timeout` parameter. I'll
fix our monitoring scripts to always specify this.

One question on timeout: does it simply drop any metric callback which is
not collected within the timeout? Does caller know which metrics are
dropped due to timeout?

Also, it is not documented in
http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/monitoring/. Should we send a
patch to update it?

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Benjamin Mahler <bmah...@apache.org> wrote:

> The /metrics endpoint exposes a timeout parameter if you want to receive a
> response with all of the metrics that were available within the timeout,
> e.g. /metrics/snapshot.json?timeout=10secs
>
> I'd recommend using this when collecting metrics so that you can maintain
> visibility when a particular component is backlogged.
>
> Should we explore a more reliable way to track metrics independently from
> > libprocess's queue?
>

> Note that this problem applies only to our defer-based "Gauge" metrics that
> execute on the actor. Counters and Timers are immune to this. I would say
> there are a couple of improvements we can make in increasing order of
> difficulty:
>
> (1) There are instances of Gauges that might be better represented as
> Counters. For example, we expose the actor queue sizes using a gauge (known
> to be unfortunate!), when instead we could expose two counters for
> "enqueued" and "dequeued" messages and infer size from these. We can also
> add the ability for callers to manually increment and decrement their
> Gauges rather than go through a dispatch.

My feeling is that taking the difference between enqueued and dequeued is
not as obvious as a `Gauge`. If we take this path, we should document it
clearly how to use the metric.

> (2) Allow Gauge dispatches to be sent to the front of the actor's queue,
> rather than the back. I would hope that we don't wind up with a notion of
> integer priority for messages. Note that this doesn't solve the problem for
> when the "backlog" is occurring inside a single expensive function. It also
> has the issue of preventing "progress" if metrics are hit frequently enough
> and are expensive enough.

> (3) There are instances of Gauges that might be better represented as
> thread-safe logic. For example, if we need an actor's std::map member's
> .size(), we could call .size() safely so long as the map is not destructed.
> In other cases, explicit locking may be needed and is more complicated.
>
> (4) There are instances of Gauges that might be better represented as a
> "wrapping" around a data-structure. For example, the std::map could be
> wrapped as a 'map_wrapper' that injects metric updates into each non-const
> operation that affects the size of the map.
>
> So far I've felt that the timeout and (1) will be sufficient for the
> foreseeable future, while (3) and (4) seem to require a significant impact
> to non-metrics related code complexity, let me know what you think.

I agree that we should not adopt (2) only to address this problem: it seems
like something larger and also affects how libprocess was generally
designed, so we should think more carefully about that.

I like the idea of (3) since it can be implemented gradually, and it can
completely avoid paying the cost of enque/deque message (which is another
interesting question: how expensive it could be?)

(4) seems like a bigger

I'm also interested in how other `Gauge` type systems are implemented in
other well know OSS projects. Maybe we can do some more research on their
approach?

--
Cheers,

Zhitao Li