Martin Marinschek wrote:
I was thinking about maybe using the "Facelet" approach for the
component creation as well - this is basically exact the same stuff as
defining the components by using JSP. I don't know how to do loops and
stuff like that then, though...

Facelet is very similar but a much much much higher level approach than using a generalized Velo renderer :-) I would prefer both approaches, after all choice is good and both tackle different problems of component development.

While facelets would allow to implement components in a strict taglib approach (to what I read a while ago), Velo has its merits of being able to approach an entire rendering process without having to deal with the taglib approach at all, but is a leaner way, in one for the programmer more natural high level template language over template approach.

if you are not familiar with velocity check out the users guide

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/user-guide.html

and you can see what I mean with the ease of development of renderers to components.

Velocity is simple awesome if you need a lightweight general purpose templating mechanism which basically can render into anything.

As I said I love Velocity but there might be speed problems if you do velocity on a component level instead of a page level.

Werner