I'm certainly no expert in making releases nor am I a committer, but
why start off being sloppy?  There's a bug that warrants an immediate
release.   There's no guarantee that another such bug won't turn up
after the next release and require another release.   That's what
branches are for, so why resist using them?

Because work on MyFaces are ongoing, it's not reasonable to try to
support maintenance releases without branches, is it?