At least in terms of the validators/converters/etc (non-api) parts of
commons, it is not intended that Tobago or any other project depend on
these.   These are additional components made available to the end
users.   So it's true that some small subset of Tobago users won't be
able to use it.   The same is true for Trinidad and Tomahawk users.

I don't think that's reason enough to require that these projects
support JSF 1.1.

I still think the conglomeration of developer-targeted utilities/apis
and end-user-targeted components is a mistake, and I was under the
impression that each of these pieces was independent of each other.
If that's the case, there's no reason why the api/utils
developer-targeted projects can't maintain JSF 1.1 support while
leaving the component end-user-targeted projects at JSF 1.2.