Hi -

The behavior that you describe is coming from an optimization in
Trinidad's HtmlResponseWriter, which detects and strips attribute-less
span elements.  I believe this optimization dates back to Oracle UIX.
IIRC in certain scenarios we were ending up with multiple nested
attribute-less spans due to renderers being overaggressive about
wrapping their contents. The issue was addressed generically at the
ResponseWriter level rather than by patching individual renderers, and
 since we tended to favor class-based selectors rather than
DOM/contextual selectors, the absence of the spans was not a problem
for styling.

If this optimization is causing problems for folks integrating
non-Trinidad generated content with Trinidad, we should consider
providing some way to disable this optimization - or possibly revisit
whether the optimization is still useful.

Andy