Okay, based on Gab's and Andy's input, I started a WIKI:

http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/CustomTabOrder

It is *very* primitive at the moment, but I wanted it to spark a
discussion. If you have another concrete option, just add it to the
wiki. I guess we can discuss the options in this thread for now.

-Andrew