Hi,

The sniffer result you attached, shows that the container needs to access
http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd. However, this resource should be
available in the application server's servlet-api.jar in
javax/servlet/resources. Maybe your specific AS does not hold this dtd in
the desribed directory, so it has to load it from http://java.sun.com.

Regarding problems with JSF 1.1 in a Java EE 5 environment you should read
the backward compatibility part of
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2EE/jsp_21/.

Regards,

Jakob Korherr