hi @ all,

the review phase for the next extval release (r3) has been started already.
one important topic is backward compatibility.
the 3rd release will be a major version. besides a lot of new features r3
will be the first version which offers bean-validation integration for all
jsf versions.

i created an upgrade guide [1] for collecting changes which aren't backward
compatible.
currently there are just very few changes in the property-validation module
which are easy to fix.

since r3 will be a major release and i know many people who started with the
current milestone and not the previous version, i think we can take the
chance for further restructurings in the validation modules.

what's about the following suggestion?
i would like to introduce a new package which is suggested for every
validation module for shared/common stuff.
the name is e.g. "module" and in case of the property-validation module it
would be interesting to move some classes to this package.

property-validation module:
org.apache.myfaces.extensions.validator.module.property [new]
 |_ PropertyValidationModuleKey [new]
 |_ PropertyValidationSkipValidationEvaluator [new]
 |_ annotation
 |    |_ JoinValidation [moved]
 |    |_ SkipValidation [moved]
 |    |_ SkipValidationSupport [moved]
 |__ initializer.component [new]
 |    |_ HtmlCoreComponentsComponentInitializer [moved]
 |__ interceptor [new]
 |     |_ PropertyValidationInterceptor [moved]
 |__ startup [new]
 |     |_ PropertyValidationModuleStartupListener [moved]
 |__ storage [new]
       |__ mapper [new]
       |    |__ PropertyValidationGroupStorageNameMapper [new]
       |__ JoinValidationMetaDataStorageFilter [new]

most of the stuff is new or internal - so we don't really have an issue
here.
however, esp. JoinValidation, SkipValidation and SkipValidationSupport are
not new and part of the api.
if we move these annotations (because they are used in base- as well as in
cross-validation), users have to fix some import statements. since these
annotations aren't used extremely often it does >not< lead to a huge effort.
to be consistent we would have the same package concept in the
bean-validation module as well
(org.apache.myfaces.extensions.validator.module.bean). in this case we don't
have an issue because the module is completely new.

since it is a major release (imo) the impact is minimal and should be ok.
if there is no veto, i'll do the mentioned refactoring.
(for sure - i'll also create a jira issue.)

regards,
gerhard

[1]
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Extensions/Validator/Versions/Versions/UpgradeGuide