Hi there,

Apologies for the unusual post but in the absence of a user list I am
sort of left without other options. :-)

I have been keeping an eye on Myriad as we run a number of Hadoop
nodes next to a bunch of some Mesos friendly use-cases and currently
struggle to manage resourcing boundaries.

I have asked this question to a number of different individuals at
MapR but never managed to get a clear answer, therefore apologies for
the somehow MapR focused question but....

How would a MapR NM container connect back to Yarn  without running
MFS inside the container?

Reason I ask is simple:

By default MapR NM nodes depend on MFS in order to create a local
volume. This applies also to compute nodes and is explicitly
documented behaviour and seen on the logs on entries similar to the
following:

2015-09-10 11:11:13,794 INFO
com.mapr.hadoop.mapred.LocalVolumeAuxService: Checking for local
volume. If volume is not present command will create and mount it.

Failure to do so (using the default config) will usually (always?)
result a failure of the NM to start.

I imagine this behaviour may be worked around but I could not find any
documentation about it.

If that is not the case, this will have some interesting consequences
on MapR users adopting Myriad.

Taking for example users opting for following an MFS backed Mesos
topology like the one described in here:

https://www.mapr.com/blog/my-experience-running-docker-containers-on-mesos
https://www.mapr.com/solutions/zeta-enterprise-architecture

My understanding is that a good number of baremetal servers would be
running MFS and ensuring that resources (disk controllers and disk
slots in this case) are utilised to their maximum potential.

So far so good. But when you take this with the
com.mapr.hadoop.mapred.LocalVolumeAuxService behaviour mentioned
above, one
would end up having to run MFS on both the baremetal slave and within
the container it is hosting!

This raises a few interesting questions:

* How to deal with MFS service and its memory gluttony?
       Caching would potentially be happening on both baremetal and
containers...

* Both barebone and contained would have to contact the CLDB in order
to function
       well... Lets say this would likely cause MapR share prices
would go up. :-)

Keen to understand from the MapR commiters what is the view / work
around createTTvolume.sh

Kind regards

Andre