Scott Gray wrote:
> The main question in my mind is what does all this mean for OFBiz?
> Obviously because webslinger is currently in the framework you
> envisage it playing some sort of role in the ERP applications, but
> what exactly?
We see knowledge sharing as an important ERP function.
> I think I understand better now why Ean and yourself were somewhat negative
> towards the possibility of a jackrabbit integration, do you see this as some
> sort of alternative?

Some sort of alternative, though I would see Jackrabbit more as an
alternative to our modded CommonsVFS+Lucene. I'm mostly antagonistic to
a database oriented content management approach because I don't feel
like any of the tools out there (including Jackrabbit) realistically
deal with the situation of having a long-term development project
running in tandem with a live server. All of the database driven tools
(Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, Plone, Alfresco, LifeRay) fail to deliver a
solution for distributed revision control. For me, that seems like a
critical weakness because I've been through more than a few overhauls of
a large corporate information management infrastructure. Work goes on in
parallel both in the live server and the development environment. If you
don't have tools to manage the process of merging those streams of
information then you are in for a tough time.

Jackrabbit is very interesting, mostly because it extends the filesystem
concept to blend more seamlessly with what the web seems to "want" its
filesystem to look like. I think it would be fully possible for us to
replace CommonsVFS with Jackrabbit but I'm not entirely clear that it is
worth it. Any CMS that cannot present itself as a vanilla filesystem is
fundamentally hampered by the unfortunate reality is that most programs
expect to work with that model. I suppose it depends on where you want
to be inconvenienced.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
e...@brainfood.com