On 11/15/2012 11:49 AM, Adam Heath wrote:
> 4: Start filing issue trees in jira for pure upstream work.  This
> would include things like removing embedded libraries(maybe a
> post-download kinda thing).

(responding to myself).

Debian-policy says that any upload to main(and therefore is DFSG),
must *only* be source.  No pre-compiled stuff.  This is what is meant
by the 'preferred form for modification' aspect of licenses.
Pre-compiled embedded jars in the *source* upload run afowl of that.

To fix that, obviously means the source upload of ofbiz into debian
will not contain the jars.  It would actually be ok for the svn repo
itself to contain the jars, but then the zip/tarball I would download
from some webpage should not contain them.  Being able to use an
upstream download directly, means that the md5sum(or other hash) would
match upstream, and it's easier to verify what has and has not been
changed.

However, now that the jars have been removed, ofbiz doesn't magically
stop requiring them.  So, somehow they have to be made available.
That requires making debian packages of *all* the other projects,
going back to the original *source* and compiling them, etc.  And
again following this no-precompiled-rule recursively thru all of the
dependants.