Hi Community

I have not been able to continue the work on the bootstrap theme for the
past few months now and therefore resisted the urge to comment on various
threads in the mailing list about matters related. So maybe apologies are
in order. Having said that, these are my thoughts:

1. The UI,  specifically HTML is as important as any other part of the
framework and should consequently be treated as such by the community.
2. Many projects with lesser architectural soundness but with sexy UIs'
have proven successful purely based on the UI. The Ofbiz architectural
framework rocks, but it not enough has been done to project this
graphically. The look and feel of the ecommerce app has not been upgraded
for more than half a decade now. This may be the reason why some are
looking towards integrating with other ecommerce projects.  The Ofbiz
ecommerce app isn't bad - the demo just looks bad.
3. Graphical designers can easily write their own UI, as alluded to by
Adrian. This regardless of the Javascript framework you would like to use.
You can write your own widget templates and incorporate that in your theme.
It's possible.
4. The elephant in the room is the significant amount of "raw" ftl widgets
present in the current demos.  This is where I got stuck with the bootstrap
development.  We cannot move the theme forward without dealing with "raw"
ftl.  I suspect that the same might be true for any other J'S framework.
Any volunteers?
5. Following on the previous point, developing a UI based on vogue JS
frameworks will be  extremely difficult if  we are concerned about breaking
older themes. Maybe it is time for a clean break.

So, this is my proposal:
1. Let's bodly adopt bootstrap. If there are any proponents of any other
framework, let them bring it forward so we can all discuss and work on it.
2. Put aside a sprint event to deal with "raw" ftls scattered all over and
get these converted into properly defined widgets.
3. Produce a more sexy ecommerce UI (this is critical to the Ofbiz brand).

There are other issues - but this I feel should be prioritised.

Regards
Gavin