On Jan 14, 2013, at 2:46 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12.01.2013 00:39, Dave Fisher wrote:

>>> In general a very good idea: Shorter menu entries, etc. and a higher
>>> attention of the open source product.
>>>
>>> And yes, we should get this clarified from trademarks@.
>>
>> If it is called Apache OpenOffice software or product on first use on certain
>> pages then it is permissible to use short forms like OpenOffice in various
>> places. There is no trouble with that approach. Look at the Apache Hadoop
>> project's home page - http://hadoop.apache.org/
>>
>> We should make sure that somewhere we use OpenOffice.org ® for the link to
>> the website to preserve that trademark in certain jurisdictions.
>>

> As you might have seen, I also changed "OpenOffice.org website" to "Apache
> OpenOffice website" in some place of the help content.
>
> Dave, do you think we should keep "OpenOffice.org" in such cases?

In order to preserve registered trademark in places like China we have to have
places where we show and use OpenOffice.org®.

Using that for the website is one easy and important way to do that.

Is there room for a phase like "The Apache OpenOffice product website at
OpenOffice.org®"?

We should likely include this in the footer in the website. Probably this needs
to be a full discussion under its own topic.

Regards,
Dave