On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Rob,

>>> No, I would like to go another way and reduce the "product"-list. For
>>> example, "SDK" has about 500 issues at all from the beginning from today
>>> about 128000. Compare it to "Word Processor" with about 770 issues in the
>>> last year. "Products" with low use does not need a division in components.
>>> There are more such low used "products". I would put them together in two
>>> "products": "other source code issues" and "other non-source code issues"
>>> and use their former product name as component.
>>>
>>> The other problem is, that some "products" are only understandable for
>>> insiders. Or do you know immediately what product "oi" or "ucb" is?
>>>

>> I have no idea.  So if we had categories, these might be put under an
>> "internals" category.
>>

>>> So keep only those products, which have got enough issues in the last two
>>> years to make a "component" list meaningful and which are understandable to
>>> end users.
>>>

>> That's one approach, and it would be OK if the only audience for
>> Bugzilla was end-users.  But if developers want the finer-grained
>> products at a code module level, then we can support that as well.
>>
>> So imagine top-level categories like:
>>
>> 1) OpenOffice Applications
>>
>> 2) Internal Modules
>>
>> 3) Cross-cutting Concerns (performance, accessibility, localization)
>>
>> 4) Project Infrastructure
>>
>> Then, to the end user, I hope it would be clear that they go
>> immediately to "OpenOffice Applications".  In fact, where we give BZ
>> links for end-users, we can point them directly there.
>>
>> Something like this could be done quickly, 30 minutes.  We might be
>> able to do simplification at the product level, as you suggest.  But
>> that is far more work, and I think having 20 top-level categories
>> rather than 50 is still too many.  Ideally I think we want 5-7
>> top-level choices.
>
> I agree with having a limited number of top choices. I think that the
> component level should be limited to a similar number and ought to default to
> something like "unknown".
>
> If you make massive internal changes for this. It is my hope that you will
> turn off email notifications during that short interval.

I have no desire to make massive internal changes.  I'm volunteering
to hide the ugliness behind top-level categories, something that I
could do in 10 minutes with no notification emails, and which will
immediately make things easier for end-users.

But if someone is interested in doing the massive cleanup, then they
are welcome to do that.  But I haven't heard anyone volunteer to do
that.

So giving objections to a proposal that a volunteer has actually made,
the net result is we're deciding to remain with crap.

Regards,

-Rob