I would like to update some of the Java libraries used, starting with hsqldb. Is there any preference to getting the source and building the jar or just grabbing the jar from the project site? There are four BZ issues in reference to hsqldb with patches, I am going to test the new version to make sure those issues are resolved but they are very old. Should I open another issue for this?

Is there any recommendation/objection on this? After hsqldb I would like to move on to lucene.

Just a general question, there are many old issues on BZ for example there are 96 for hsqldb but most of them are from 2006 and is referring to an old version of OpenOffice, would it be possible to close very old issues?

Michael