On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

>>> It is starting to become something a little bit more official now.
>>> Minutes ago, the "FESCo meeting" (Fedora Engineering Steering Committee)
>>> approved the feature for Fedora 19 unanimously, 9-0.
>>

>> Great news.
>>

>>> They will likely publish some minutes, but I copy-paste from the chat.
>>> ---
>>> Feature is accepted under the condition that the conflicts must be
>>> worked out. OpenOffice and LibreOffice packagers get to work them out.
>>> There is no FESCo mandate that LibreOffice must change to accommodate
>>> OpenOffice at this time. Alternatives is not the way to resolve the
>>> conflicts but environment-modules may be looked at as a similar means to
>>> achieve that.
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Explanations:
>>>
>>> - Conflicts are over the "soffice" and "unopkg" aliases, and possibly
>>> others, which would be needed by both OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Here I
>>> hope that the LibreOffice packagers can agree on some solutions (note:
>>> it's really about the packages, since the upstream LibreOffice does not
>>> conflict). Stephan Bergmann explained that there is still some usage of
>>> the hard-coded "soffice" by external applications and in the SDK. So
>>> this really needs to be clarified to see whether OpenOffice will break
>>> if it doesn't own the "soffice" alias.
>>>
>>> - For historical reasons, the "ooffice", "oowriter"... aliases are
>>> assigned to LibreOffice. Although we discussed it on the mailing lists,
>>> this won't change. So, unless we have the funny idea of squatting
>>> "lowriter", "localc"..., we are left with "aoowriter", "aoocalc" and so
>>> on.
>>

>> I've the idea that both parties are changing to an own naming syntax:
>>
>> soffice -> aooffice *and* soffice -> loffice and so on with other names.
>>
>> Then both have work to do and nobody is in advantage to profit from old
>> stuff.
>>

> But I would have trademark concerns if a statement like this installed
> anything but OpenOffice:
>
> sudo yum install openoffice.org
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

On at least Ubuntu 12.04 (a long term support version), doing this:
sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
will install LibreOffice.

Package description:
This is a transitional package, replacing the OpenOffice.org packaging
with the LibreOffice packaging.

It can be safely removed after an upgrade.

I've been wondering whether this is legal?

Regards
Damjan