On 7 February 2013 13:20, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 3:13 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> It doesn't. But indeed the openoffice.org alias has been discussed and
> >> hope we can get it reassigned or dropped without invoking trademarks.
> >> Anyway, it is not one of the technically problematic aliases but just a
> >> convenience alias, so it can be addressed after we have packages ready.
> >>

> > We should argue that the aliases came from OpenOffice and that they were
> > hijacked if you want by LibreOffice. They even used the package name in
> > the past to install LibreOffice and not OpenOffice. We tolerated it
> > because we had no updated version in place with the latest security
> > fixes. But that's it and the game changed, we have a current version and
> > will provide future versions.
> >

> It comes down to user confusion.  We've already seen users confused by
> this, where they think they are installing OpenOffice and instead get
> something else.  This is classic trademark infringement.  You can't
> offer bottles of Coca-Cola for to consumers and then fill the bottles
> with Pepsi.

If it is so classic, then  for sure the ASF laywers could inform Fedora
about the problem, and ask them to correct it, independently of whether or
not AOO is distribtuted. I assume that since they are the distributors they
need to make sure that their contributors uses valid trademarks.

This might be a problem on other distros as well.

Or is life not as simple as I think ?

rgds
Jan I