You certainly have seen from the 0^0 discussion that I have raised the problem
of the backward compatibility with 4.0 and extensions. In fact, it affects only
the extensions with a custom toolbar. But except the dictionaries, I guess that
it makes a good deal of them still.

The problem has been raised by Bernard Marcelly here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/api@openoffice.apache.org/msg00107.html
But as said by Ariel, this is not an API change (so shouldn't the discussion on
the API list be dropped and discussed here instead?):
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoffice.apache.org/msg04042.html

Rob has opened a wiki page related but without this topic (as for now):
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoffice.apache.org/msg03976.html

Basically (my understanding, don't hesitate to correct me):
- For a [minor] issue in the file structure, all the current extensions with a
toolbar MUST be updated
- Updated and new extensions won't be compatible with former versions of AOO/OOo
For all the details, refer to the link given above.

Consequences:
- Users upgrading to 4.x will lose such extensions (certainly with no warning
since very few users read the release notes)
- Both versions of each extension will have to be maintained as long as pre-4.0
versions are still in use

So, are all the committers aware of this change and do they all agree about
such a major change?

I know that there is a topic on the API list (link given above) but I'm not
sure it has the same audience as the dev list (number of subscribers I mean).
Since this is a major change, I think it deserves a discussion on the dev
mailing list.
I know that if this change is implemented, the forums will be quickly flooded
with users disappointed to have lost their extensions. So this is the topic I
will point to in order to explain the dev community rationale about that.

I know that code change is sometimes required. But can we take into account the
end-user impact here? There may be some transition solution with a deprecated
method that would be still valid for some time (let's say until version 5.x for
example) with a massive communication to all the accounts having uploaded an
extension?

Hagar