On 2013/02/27 2:10 AM, jorge ivan poot diaz wrote:
I want to know if it is advisable to work on the source code running:

./configure --enable-werror

I'm working on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.

For code you are working on treating warnings as errors is a very good idea. On the other hand it becomes quite distracting if warnings happen in unrelated code and the werror option would cause the break the build there.

On platforms like Windows or Mac where we are currently still require the compilers VC2008 or XCode3 no new warnings are expected to appear until we switch these requirements, so enabling werror is encouraged.

Plenty of new helpful warnings appear on more recent compilers, e.g. on the platform you are working on (in general: platforms with regular updates to the development environment like Linux/FreeBSD). Unless you plan to fix them I'd advise against enabling werror there. Looking at the warnings and solving the most critical ones is always interesting and beneficial for the project though.

Hope that helps,
Herbert