There are two parts to the extensions for writing aids.  I think there is some
serious low-hanging fruit for improving how this works.

MATERIAL INSTALLED IN THE PROGRAM SPACE.

The last time I checked, some writing aids and extensions that are bundled and
considered part of a distro are installed with the binaries (e.g., under the
Program Files location on Windows).  It matters whether those are installed as
.oxt files or they are installed as folders (with the same names) that are the
extracted files from the .oxt.

With Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (en-US) installed on Microsoft Windows XP SP3
there are the following in an installation of mine:

 * dict-fr.oxt\ is a folder (6.3 MB on disk).
   It is stashed under C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\share\uno_
packages\IF2_tmp_\
   (I'm not quite sure why I have it, but there it is.)

 * presentation-minimizer.oxt\ (2.2 MB), another folder, not the .oxt package.
   This is under ... share\prereg\bundled\

 * presenter-screen.oxt\ (3.2 MB), another folder, same place as the preceding
one

 * dict-en.oxt (6.2MB) an actual .oxt package, not one that has been unpacked.
   This is under ... share\extensions\install\
   If this were extracted, it would occupy 24,788kB.  In addition, it appears to
   have, in one package, a mix of aids for en_US, en_AU, en_CA, en_GB, and
en_ZA.
   An .oxt is a Zip package with a structure that preceded what is done with ODF
   packages.  (There is significant advantage to moving to an ODF-package form.)

MATERIAL INSTALLED IN USER SPACE

This is in a place where applications can put data (such as profiles) that is
dynamic and is not locked-down
the same as the material in the "Program Space."  Here is what is there in the
same configuration as the above.

These are all under
   C:\Documents and Settings\orcmid\Application Data\
   OpenOffice.org\3\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\
   a folder occupying 91.3MB on Disk.

There are six subdirectory directories each containing another directory which
is an expanded .oxt.
These expanded .oxt folders are:

 * dict-en-au-2008-12-15.oxt\ (21.4MB on disk)

 * dict-en-nz-2008-12-03.oxt\ (21.3MB)

 * dict-en.oxt\ (24.2 MB)

 * en_CA_2_0_0.oxt\ (21.4MB)

 * en_US.oxt\ (704 kB!)

 * presentation-minimizer.oxt\ (2.17 MB)

I can understand .oxt *files* being part of the installed set in the Program
Files area.
I don't understand why all caching is not in the Application Data space, but I
also wonder
whether keeping more data inside of the .oxt package might also be productive.

I think the point is that there are some odd dependencies and redundancies
here.  I don't profess to understand them. I am only observing their presence
in the code and user profile footprints.

 - Dennis