On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:41:18PM +0100, Hagar Delest wrote:
> +1. There are some advanced features that are of no use for me (like
> those related to Impress). In the past I could deactivate them (in
> 3.4.0 IIRC). But well, perhaps there is no real gain to remove the
> extension.

But you do hit the point for removing this "extension" that is no
extension at all: you (average user) cannot deactivate in the UI.
Being integrated in the Office is as simple as adding a checkbox on the
Options dialog, and for system administrators an option in an xcu file.

Besides, now as preregistered extensions, they consume space both in the
installation folder and every user directory on your system. Integrated
into the Office code is simply a library, configuration files are
merged, and images part of the global images.zip.

Besides, as preregistered extensions, they are broken on Linux. The fact
that the Presenter Screen ended as a preregistered extensions is just
a hack to workaround bugs, not to mention the whole buggy unopkg sync and
preregistered extensions by itself (no wonder Stephan Bergmann removed
them long ago
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2012-August/036627.html)

Besides the fact that, although being linked only to URE libs, this is
by no means a "normal" extension, and has deep dependencies in the core
code that go beyond mere UNO services as could be used by other
extensions; so the fact of this being an extension is no argument in
favor of the code being easy to maintain, on the contrary, by looking at
the history

[ariel@localhost presenter]$ git log --oneline .
1b138b4 i121873 - Integrate the Presenter Screen
7f0e1cf #121388# - adapt renaming: "Apache OpenOffice" --> "OpenOffice"
77d41e6 i119977 - Update version number to 4.0.0
4edadde Fixed build breaker and some cleanup.
8c43b8f #i119206# use generic methods in presenter-console's makefile
e35efbe fix extension maximal version dependency
b9e592a extensions with updated license get a new version also update
min-/max-dependency to Apache OpenOffice 3.4+
5729e2e #i119168# update granted extensions to match their ALv2 license
9979154 Added AL2 license.
c30c02e Update headers to Alv2 headers
ffe7841 Update headers to Alv2 headers
cbc6f46 remove svn:executable properties from more source files
50c3fa1 remove svn:executable properties from document templates and samples
ff38d84 remove svn:executable properties from source files
c5fe3be Update headers to Alv2 headers
fbb9cd7 Update headers to Alv2 headers
1f83643 Update headers to Alv2 headers
539ae5f Update headers to Alv2 headers
1842c5f Update headers to Alv2 headers
c946a2d Update headers to Alv2 headers
00639e4 Update headers to Alv2 headers
6b9fba5 Initial import of the old OOo hg repository tip revision.

this shows the code hasn't been touched since it was transfered to the
ASF, since 2011:

changeset:   276848:2418cfd47c84
user:        Andre Fischer<andre.f.fisc...@oracle.com>
date:        Wed Mar 23 09:42:08 2011 +0100
files:       sdext/source/presenter/description.xml
impress211: #i110990# Increased version number (micro) of presenter screen
extension to 1.1.1.

changeset:   276845:d8cdb29e0a59
user:        Andre Fischer<andre.f.fisc...@oracle.com>
date:        Fri Mar 11 15:22:17 2011 +0100
files:       sd/source/ui/dlg/present.cxx
sd/source/ui/slideshow/slideshow.cxx
sdext/source/presenter/PresenterScreen.cxx
impress211: #i110990# Fixed remaining problems with display ids and indices.

This could mean:

a) the extension is bug-free and full-featured
b) it is unmaintained

Searching bugs in bugzilla, and looking at the logs in
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/sdext/source/presenter/ seems
to indicate that is far from (a).

IMHO, in the case of this particular extension, having it integrated
makes it more easy to debug and hack on, the problem (a serious one in
this project) is to attract community contributors to work on it.

> Advanced features could be developed as extensions and integrated in
> the main code if they meet big success.

This is far from reality. Advanced features need integration into the
office code. With an hybrid extension that is no real extension because
of it dependencies you end up with something difficult to maintain. The
Report Builder and MySQL Connector are very good examples, besides the
Presenter Screen. Just try to install the MySQL connector and connect to
a socket (Unix) or a pipe (Windows); I could cite more examples, but
I already wrote too much (besides, I used too much the word "besides").

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina