On 03/28/2013 01:24 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <
and...@pitonyak.org> wrote:

On 03/27/2013 04:57 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

Well Derby does seem to be "embed-able ". See:

http://db.apache.org/derby/**papers/DerbyTut/embedded_**intro.html<http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/embedded_intro.html>

This has been suggested before, as early as 2006. See:

http://markmail.org/message/**kp5n2d5yzhprgpjm<http://markmail.org/message/kp5n2d5yzhprgpjm>

Still, is any embedded DB  a good thing? Pros and cons...

PRO:
* Very convenient for small things. Imagine if I said that you can write a
document in Write, but you must first install an external application that
Write will connect to. This is rather daunting for new users. Also, most
external systems I expect probably use multiple files, so, if I want to
simply create something small and send it to you, well, I can't do that
easily unless I zip up a directory, send it to you, and then expect you to
install the same DB that I used and then make it work.  So, it boils down
to an ability to create a small single file DB.

CON:
* Our current Embedded DB works poorly with large DB, and someone who does
not know better may try to create a very large DB and have performance
issues.

If it is not reliable, then it is probably better to not exist.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document:

This has been a very good discussion so far.

I would again like to emphasize two things about our current
situation/implementation:

* the requirement of Java 6 by end users to get acceptable performance from
Base.

(More testing of builds will be needed to determine if this holds true for
Java 7 and HSQL 2.2.9. Perhaps additional changes are needed to the
connectivity portions of AOO).

* the current and perhaps future issues in terms of development maintenance
for the embedded DB

In any case, we need to keep in mind this is a volunteer community.

I have been working on updating the HSQL to the latest version. I have most of the configure and build portion ready but I did run into an issue which I addressed here

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb/forums/forum/73674/topic/6842122

I have tested Base with version 2.2.9 and it does address the issues that the current patches are created for. Overall, most of the issues seem to be within the AOO code. I have tried to look into some of them but having made too much progress. Personally I am having a hard time locating the issue, I am still trying to get use to the build system and the code structure. For example, there is an issue with setting the default date on a column but I am unable to locate the UI code for it.

As a volunteer, I am going to concentrate on Base. I have been meaning to ask on the list if others would like to work together to get it back into shape. Any takers?

Michael