On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orc...@apache.org>wrote:

> My sense of this is that there is a desire to reduce the "threat surface"
> of the SVN by requiring committers to opt-in.  (I assume there is some way
> to decide which committers to grandfather.)  Apparently, that is a one-time
> act and it doesn't alter being relatively inactive.  So I guess this will
> have to be a periodic ceremonial requirement.
>
> I take it that this means an attacker breaks into an existing committer's
> account in some manner, impersonating that committer in a manner that (1)
> the committer doesn't notice (possible) and that (2) it doesn't attract
> attention on the commit logs (i.e., CTR fails at R).  It seems to me that
> new activity by an inactive committer (that orcmid fellow, for example)
> would be noticed and it would be difficult to do anything that looked
> suspicious.  (Orcmid did make a commit recently, but it was to fix
> something on the web site and it was done via the CMS.)
>
> I also don't understand how phishing would work.  I can't imagine
> receiving anything that requires me to use my @apache credentials anywhere
> without attracting great concern.  If there's a successful
> Man-in-the-Middle exploit against the SVN, it is not the inactive
> committers that are going to be hacked.

And I can't imagine that you would fall for a phishing attack either. I'm
not thinking of you. But remember, when we first started as a poding we
handed out a committer rights to anyone who had a pulse.  Every one of
their accounts has exactly the same permission set yours does.

This is not the place to teach hacking, but getting 5-10% of committers to
enter their Apache credentials into a webform linked to by a spoofed email
purporting to come from a trusted party would be rather easy,

-Rob