On 4/5/13 4:22 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> We can easily copy the "Donate" button from the footer to the topnav.
>>

> The pages are already so busy that making anything stand out is rather
> difficult.
>
> I'll give you an example.  We (Samer and I) did an experiment with
> different placements of the social sharing links.  So we weren't asking for
> money or anything like that.  We were just asking users to friend us on
> Facebook.
>
> We tracked the response rate over a two week period.
>
> For placement up on the navbar or to the right of search, the response rate
> was 0.04%.
>
> For further down on the page, in its own section (how we have it now) the
> response rate was 0.19%.
>
> The best rate was right front and center, above the announcement with
> graphics.  That had 0.34% response rate.  Though that was the best, we
> opted not to go with it since it was not really appropriate for permanent
> use, though it might work OK for a temporary campaign.
>
> (We also did some variations that were text-only, but the versions with
> graphics did better each time)
>
> So with 0.34% response rate on click through, we'd get maybe 2500
> clicks/day. Not sure what % of those would actually contribute, but even at
> 1% that adds up over a while.

Well I would prefer a better and more prominent place on the page in
general but I trust your experiment with Samer and the facebook link. If
we don't find a really good place we can of course repeat this
periodically. I don't know every 3 month or at least combined with new
releases.

But we should definitely prepare a blog post that 40 million downloads
and the related traffic are not for free, the forum and wiki is not for
free etc. Simply presenting the facts and describe how donation will
help to run all this. We have good partners like sourceforge but any
single individual can help as well. PayPal can handle many small donations.

But yes we have to align this with fundrasing to ensure that we do it
correct and in a way that they can handle it.

> Another entirely unrelated approach would be to have an Amazon Affiliate
> account for the ASF and then have a listing of books related to Apache
> projects.  The ASF would then get a % of each referred sale. That could be
> huge, especially with the Hadoop family of projects.

interesting idea, who would be able to work on something like this. I
assume fundraising, you should share the idea with them

Juergen