On 2013/05/28 2:50 PM, janI wrote:
We have INFRA 5590 pending. When I (and infra) reads it, its only a request
for a RO mirror.

Yes, it was assumed that a read-only mirror of our codebase would be an essential step regardless on how we want to proceed.

A read-only mirror would have the immediate benefit of being a stable reference: As SVN allows editing properties of older commits individual imports of the codebase via git-svn are different and result in unpredictable commit-ids which prevents an efficient DVCS working style. An official git-mirror of our SVN sub-tree would solve all that.

The questions in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5590 need to be addressed first in either way: do we want the localizations split from the codebase? How to map the one-level/two-level deep branch names? Do we want to have the incubator/ooo history grafted before the post-graduation history? And how about the OOo-history? etc.

I understood from another discussion, that we wanted to be able to do git
commit, that automatically updated the svn (orignial) repository.

I'm afraid only unidirectional mirroring will work reliably. This means we'll either
a) have SVN as upstream of a read-only mirror
b) have a git repository as new upstream

a) as an intermediate step is needed anyway and it would solve a lot of problems. I personally would prefer option b in the long term, but not having it would only be a minor inconvenience. Not having any official git-mirror is a much bigger problem.

I my understanding is correct the ticket should be updated to reflect that
(and maybe less open possibilities).

I suggest to keep the original request and add comments or answers to the JIRA issue. As the author of INFRA-5590 I'll be happy to change the subject line then to clarify what we want.

Do we have committers who would prefer to continue with SVN?

Herbert