On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:07 AM, Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11.06.2013 17:45, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You should find the email of the publication's news editor and write a
>>> polite yet firm complaint, saying in fewer words what you said here, put
>>> the writer in cc:, then lay back and enjoy the fireworks. It also helps
>>> if
>>> you put such letter on-line and reference it in your e-mail.
>>>
>>> Just an idea.. ;-)
>>>
>> I think just ignore it.  Why help promote El Reg?
>

> Hm, I like the Register. I like their style and usually their articles seem
> to be better researched, at least two years ago, when I read them more
> regularly.  But more importantly, this is just one of several such articles
> in the last months.  That makes me wonder if we should not be more active in
> making (of what we thing are) the facts better known.
>
> Do we already have an anti-FUD page in the Wiki that we can easily reference
> in comments to such articles?

We don't, but I do track a list of the most-common misconceptions that I read:

Misconception about Apache OpenOffice

1. Contributing to Apache requires that you assign copyright
(ownership) of your code to Apache.

2. Contributing to Apache requires that you sign the ICLA.

3. The Apache License permits "big corporation" to "lock up" your code
and prevent others from using it.

4. The "OpenOffice.org community" all went to LibreOffice.

5. Ohloh metrics give a fair and accurate comparison between Apache
OpenOffice and LibreOffice

6. Only IBM is working on Apache OpenOffice

7. License forces contributions to occur in a particular way, i.e.
"license is destiny".

8. Oracle controls OpenOffice (believe it or not, this still comes up)

9. LibreOffice is more widely used than AOO

10. Because OpenOffice is not having weekly low-quality releases it
must not be doing anything at all

-Rob