On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Glen & Nicci Johnson
<niccig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had a discussion recently with Steve Lee (of Open Directive), about
> my desire to get involved in software development on the accessibility
> side of notable open source projects. He suggested I maybe have a look
> at the work that's going on in Apache Open Office regarding the
> merging in of the IAccessible2 code from IBM's Lotus Symphony. I've
> been using Open Office very happily for many years, so I thought it
> sounded like a great idea.

Hi Glen,

I'm not directly involved in this area but I can give you some
pointers.  Steve Yin, in Beijing, is the programmer working on this.

> - Is there any Java coding involved in this? I'm asking this as Java
> is one of my main coding skills
> - Would any of you perhaps be able to point me in the right direction
> regarding this work?
> - Is there any documentation on the WIKI (or elsewhere) outlining this
> work and giving a background on the tasks that need to be done?
> - Who do I speak to about the work going on in OO regarding
> IAccessible2 and any other accessiblity work?

The information on the wiki is here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+IAccessible2

If this is the first time working on an open source project you might
find some useful background information on the project here:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/

To contribute to the development side of the project a first step is
downloading the code and getting it to build.   Most of the program is
C++, so you'll need to get a C++ Windows dev environment set up .  Our
Building Guide is the starting point for that, but expect that you'll
get stuck and need to ask questions on the list a few times before you
successfully build.  Consider it a way of meeting more people on the
project ;-)

The Building Guide is here:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

Regards,