Hi Rob,

Rob Weir schrieb:
Moving this topic to its own thread.

It should be possible to code a very thorough set of test cases in a
spreadsheet, without using macros or anything fancy.  Just careful
reading of the ODF 1.2 specification and simple spreadsheet logic.

Following the spec is not enough. For example, if the accuracy decreases from 14 digits to 7 digits, that is not covered by the spec.

<skip test case example description>

If we used an approach like this on the other spreadsheet functions,
we could have a semi-automated test suite that would practically
guarantee that Calc is free of calculations errors.  Once we're
written the test cases, a modest upfront investment

"modest"? One function a day and you need more than a year.

, it will benefit
us with every release we do.  Heck, it would benefit LibreOffice,
Gnumeric, Calligra as well, maybe even Microsoft and Google, though
they might already have such test cases defined internally.

I see a problem in how such a test suite is made available. And how the results for a special release are collected.

The problem with the current test cases is, that I do not know where they are, how they are to use and how to generate new ones. It is a closed book, only for insiders.

Anyone interesting in helping with this kind of test case development?

There exist some files already in Bugzilla. I used to make test documents, when working on functions. I think, that they can be extended to work in a way, that a simple look on it will tell errors. But I have no ready collection on my PC and most will be already deleted from my PC in the meantime.

One problem is, that comparisons with constants have to be written in a way, that they are independent from local. Eike has once corrected one of my test spreadsheets that way.

Any ideas on how to fully automate this?  ODF 1.2 is very strict, so
we're not starting from a  perfect score.  But we should find an easy
way to report on regressions.

If you will automate this, you will need to develop a frame. But automation is not the total solution. Testing can be a way to bring user into the community. And tests have to cover different languages and scripts. I remember errors reported to LibreOffice, where a time calculation was wrong only in special locals. To extend a testing frame to consider this would be very expensive.

Let me not be misunderstood, I like the idea of collecting test cases.

Kind regard
Regina