On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 8/21/13 6:23 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > Talking with a friend, they asked me how hard would it be to make the AOO
> > IDE Python compliant.
> >
> > I understand there has been discussions about this and usually result in
> > people siding on using external editors.
> >
> > However I am also interested to understand the architecture of the IDE,
> not
> > sure if the basic language is statically coded on the IDE, or maybe is
> just
> > the name of the classes.
> >

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/basctl/source/basicide/
> >
> > Maybe some core developer can give me more information about this, and a
> > sizing on this project. What would be required for the IDE to be able to
> > interpret and process python natively.
> >

> The Basic IDE as it is at moment is not extendable for supporting a new
> language and I think it would be better to think about something new.

​Any reason why this is non extendable?​ Could a new IDE within AOO be
created?

​Not really a true IDE, but I have seen MRI by Hanya has an output python
prompt within UNO.
http://imagebin.org/268328

TK is broken in the AOO version of Python so even if the idle code is
available, doesn't really work.
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/python /opt/
openoffice.org/basis3.3/program/python-core-2.6.1/lib/idlelib/idle.py
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk

I have seen for example, the blender prompt for scripting animations in
python, this certainly is one way of doing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfFznB1KC5w
http://imagebin.org/268327

> Downstrip Eclipse or NetBeans and use the main editor with Python
> support and think about a closer integration in AOO. We started a long

​The true key here is with the UNO ​designer which wont be that intuitive
from a different application, specially for GUI development. Also the macro
factor, brings more instantaniety to a RAD.

A developer from oooforum days (Danny) generated some libraries to abstract
many of the python calls to the API so it can be more basic-like. I am not
sure why these libraries wheren't shipped with the distribution of
OpenOffice.

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=56015