Welcome shemil, please read our wiki on the building from source. We
suggest you try to build it yourself and from then you will have a first
steps into understanding how everything works.
Please go to our source code page and follow the build instructions:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor