On 4 September 2013 13:59, Herbert Duerr <h...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 04.09.2013 11:15, j...@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: jani
>> Date: Wed Sep  4 09:13:51 2013
>> New Revision: 1519953

>> Log:
>> update to UTF-8
>>

> Great, thanks! And kudos to Tsutomu too!
>
> But I noticed that in the l10n40 branch the *.po files of all languages
> are checked in amidst the main source code in the main/languages directory.
> Wouldn't it be better to keep all these 600 megabytes of localization data
> separate, e.g. in extras/ where it used to be?

In my opinion po files are just as much source as any other part of main,
and not something extra.

When using the argument "extra", we should move quit a lot of modules away
from main, since they are not compiled into our release (at least as far as
what I can see).

main/languages and main/l10ntools forms together with a couple of other
modules (like i18n( our integrated international part, The intention of the
new toolset is to make a deeper integration and not push it further away.

rgds
jan I.