My simplest recomendation is to keep a stable and a 'bleeding edge'
version. That way you can use a stable for really long, complex
documents and a bleeding edge for simpler documents.

I did something like that for my browsers as well as having different
flavors. Event today I keep Caligra, AbiWord and AOO Writer for
handling my documents.

The freedom of free software allows you to expand the offering.
Currently I look at abiword and gnumerics and they have evolved from
the last time I used them. Also OpenOffice.org 3.2 which was rock
solid was a very good alternative still available.

http://www.openoffice.org/download/legacy/index.html

If you think about it, Microsoft has a 3 years cycle for MSO, so in
theory you will be doing the same waiting on MSO 2015/6.

OpenOffice.org has a 6/8 month cycle and major releases.

Saying all that, I would also invite you to participate on our QA
efforts generating good bug reports so we can isolate these bugs, more
information at http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-qa.html

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor