On 10/7/13, PJH <puc...@siu.edu> wrote:
> Stirred up a wasps nest did I?  Here is the sequence.  Started at the
> Official Apache Open Office site. Hit download.  When I could not install
> noted I had gotten an .exe file even though I had specified Mac.

Here is the first issue, usually when you go to download you should
see a green bar saying:

Download Apache OpenOffice

Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 for <your operating system>

If you didnt get Mac or OSX here, then is the first bug, and should be
reported. I would need to know which specific version of OSX did you
have, browser, and version of the browser for further testing.

the javascript is builted to recognize your OS, if you got an exe it
should only be Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.1_...exe

> Went back
> and started reading more.  Found that SourceForge is the preferred mirror
> site for AOO.  Downloaded again and then I also found the version was 4.0.0

Does this mean you went straight to SourceForge? Or did you went to
the additional download packages here:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

> and for a 32 bit Mac.  Number 3 did down load as 4.0.1 but I could not do a
> normal install.  AND I was now getting something called "Conduit" which
> wanted to claim my window and force me to use their web browser.  I was

I google for conduit and sourceforge, this software has nothing to do
with what you talking here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/conduit/
  """ High performance, real-time data analysis engine capable of
processing from various sources simultaneously (syslog, files,
sockets, etc). Triggers internal and user-defined events based on
built-in and user-defined rules. """

Nothing to do with browsers or managers. If you did get it from an
false exe, it wouldnt be able to install on your OSX system.

> able to partially remove the software but not all so it suddenly shows up.

Please link to the website of the software.

> Usually when I do not want it of course.  This had to have shown up during
> downloads from the official AOO Web page during one of the automatic move
> to mirror sites.  I am now the proud use of Libre Office which works almost

this behaviour has nothing to do with the website of AOO, nor it has
any capabilities to do this. Unless you got it from somewhere else
(Sourceforge).