Raphael Bircher wrote:
I'm not sure if we talk about the same thing. I talk about a small
meetup and not about a conference. So a restaurant would probabily be
better.

You can combine both: a meeting in a University or a technical schools with a couple of presentations and then a more "social" part in a restaurant. This way, you have a social moment for existing volunteers but you can also attract some new volunteers.

Apache has an "Event in a Box" proposal that is now being finalized and that you might find useful. Some outdated (for example, the Conference Committee does not exist any longer) information:
http://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/ConComSupportedEvents

Regards,
  Andrea.