Hi

based on a polite push from a good infra colleague,  I have decided to
present yet another proposal for maintaining ooo-wiki2-vm.a.o and
ooo-forums.a.o (I already maintain translate-vm2.a.o since this is a shared
service).

This will be proposal number 6, therefore I have allowed myself to cut all
the indirect language. The last proposal was not rejected, but another
admin and 2 other PMC spoke directly against it, as a consequence I saw it
as impossible to implement.

I ask for lazy consensus before january 2 2014. Meaning anyone who have
anything against the proposal please speak up before that date. Since the
proposal has a direct influence on the vm-team, the proposal needs a
positive indication from the members of this group in order to be decided.

===== proposal =====

Wiki.o.o is maintained by wiki users given administrator status. This
includes monitoring users/submissions and watching/controlling spam.

The single forums on forum.o.o is maintained/moderated by forum users given
administrator status. This includes activating new users, monitoring
users/submissions and watching/controlling spam.

All request for changes in the application (mediawiki, php2bb)
configuration, like new images, new plugins or general setup, must be
mailed to this list (dev@), with a lazy consensus decision of min. 72
hours. The sysadm will without further instruction implement the changes as
soon as possible (depending on sysadm availability) after the decision is
final.

The sysadm has the responsibility to keep the vms including applications
updated and configured in accordance with the infra guidelines and be
responsive to wishes from the community.

The sysadm is the contact point to infra, and is expected to be online on
#asfinfra on a daily basis, or at least check if there are any calls for
attention.

Downtime (excluding emergencies) will be announced on this list (dev@) at
least 72 hours in advance. The appl. admins are expected to inform the
respective user groups.

In order to ensure the highest availability of our servers, we have a
vm-team, globally distributed. Members of the vm-team team are expected to
react on mail alerts (from nagios/circonus) during normal daytime. The
vm-team can:
- stop/start the application
- reboot the server
In case of an incident, please sent an email to the team, so we all know
what happened.

The sysadm decides when to upgrade/change the vm. Help from any member of
the vm-team is appreciated as long as it is coordinated in advance (a
direct mail with response is sufficient).

I suggest myself for sysadm, and jsc, pescetti, arist and imacat for
vm-team. Of course my suggestion depends on the willingness of the
mentioned people.

I have on purpose not written anything about what happens if the agreement
is not followed, I assume people who agree to it also follow it. IMHO its
important that the vm-team positively agrees.

If anybody else want the role of sysadm, I will be happy to step down, and
assist as vm-team member.

I wish you all some relaxing days.

rgds
jan I.