Will,

it's obviously not impossible to send us an e-mail - you succeeded!

How did you obtain Genieo? Did it come with your installation of Openoffice? If so, you did not install it from the official website www.openoffice.org. Openoffice from the official site comes without any additional programs and, of course, without malware.

Genieo does have malware issues as its article on the Wikipedia says:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genieo

I'd say it makes sense to do a little research before you install some software you're not familiar with.

Hope you got rid of the malware!

Max