According to some older infos about the encoding returned by "unoinfo[.exe]
java" the resulting
string starts with an indicator byte, where '0' indicates an ASCII encoding
(and the paths are
delimited with '\0'), whereas '1' indicates UTF-16LE (and the paths are
delimited with "\0\0").

On German Windows (AOO 4.1) I see the encoding '1' (UTF-16LE), but the
characters are not 16-bit
(UTF-16LE) encoded, but plain ASCII, however the paths get delimited with
"\0\0". OOo (e.g. 3.4.1)
would return encoding '1' (UTF-16LE) where each ASCII character is preceded by
'\0'.

Clearly, an installation routine dealing with the returned string value of AOO
gets confused, if it
was written with UTF-16LE in mind, working correctly on earlier OOo.

If the current encoding returned by AOO 4.1 on Windows is wrong, I would file a
bug. If it is
correct, where is this particular encoding in AOO stated?

---rony