Hi Doug,

On 30.06.2014 16:34, Douglas Mencken wrote:
> I'm here to ask you: why you decided to drop 10.6 support?
Rob already pointed out the discussion thread where this lead to the decision
to support only newer
versions of MacOSX.

> Is it not so "hard" to keep it running, isn't it?
This depends on human resources available for the MacOSX platform.

> By the way, I'm LO guy, so see my patches, for example:
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=47b520024a236eac8807a33630f493a00fc5f243
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=a2ee38ef7afcec27f46530bf9e177939e38cc815
Would it be possible for you to check your patches on the AOO code as well?

If it works on AOO and you also submit a patch for AOO with the AL 2.0 license,
it could be applied
for AOO and if so, would then be used by LO implicitly as long as LO is based
on the AOO code and
refreshes its code base with the AOO code.

> Why is it so hard for you to support even 10.6 (no to say 10.5@powerpc)?
> WHY?
Because in AOO land there are not enough people who have the necessary
knowledge and/or
infrastructure (10.6) to keep up the support for 10.6 in a reliable (tested)
manner.

> Again, I know "corporate guys" are unable to read completely (unless it's
> claimed by boss from "high") — WHY?
I am not a "corporate guy" at all, but I have been around here for quite some
time (years) by now,
and cannot remember one incidence of "read-unability" or any "boss from 'high'"
by "corporate guys".
ASF is a great place for any kind of guys and girls, corporate or private!

---

Assuming that you have the skills and infrastructures to keep up MacOSX support
for earlier versions
(in a tested manner), would you be interested/willing to help out in this area
w.r.t. AOO? Possibly
the only difference for you would be to release your patches under two
licenses, the AL 2.0 license
(only then can ASF include code donations) and the LO license.

(Please note, that LO is able to use all of AOO source code due to the AL 2.0
license.
Unfortunately, the LO-license inhibits ASF to apply the LO-patches. Therefore
the authors of LO
patches would need to add the AL license to their patches/code in order for AOO
being able to use it
at all! An author can put his code under any number of licenses in parallel.)

HTH,

---rony