On 20/01/15 00:29, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

>> On 19 Jan 2015, at 13:32, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am probably seeming very disagreeable here.
> Nope. You'll have to try harder :-)
>
> More seriously, you point to a flaw that was not evident on an abstract level
> but was in practice. I had an IM conversation with Andrea over the weekend,
> where I proposed that I withdraw my nomination, as having several -1
> obviously damaged the ideal of consensus. An objection to my doing that now
> is that it's not clear what would be gained. Andrea and others believe that
> the election process has proceeded as it ought to have, with enough time
> allowed for discussion and then vote. But you argue the contrary, and it
> seems that a couple of others share your views.
>
> I have no problems withdrawing my candidacy and asking for new round. But I
> do want to point out a couple of things. 1. The chair role is not at all like
> that of OpenOffice.org, itself a kind of blur. This role is far more
> precisely defined and is an admin role. It actually rather resembles some of
> what I did while at CollabNet, and that included a lot of issue cleaning,
> tracking, infra stuff, permissions management, and so on. That I see some
> value beyond this is my take on it; as you know, Jan, for instance, has
> another. 2. I thought that the PMC could be reevaluated, though I'm by no
> means sure in what way, exactly. But I don't need to be; others have good
> ideas, I believe, or at least ideas that could be aired. I thought, and I
> think I was not alone in in this, that any re-doing of the PMC, however,
> should logically proceed *after* the election, as the candidate is elected by
> the binding votes of those making up the existing PMC. The sequence I
> envisioned was: A. Election; B. P
C re-evaluation; C. New election if need be or is desired. There is no absolute
set term for the chair.

> Finally, I also felt that Andrea wanted to step down and do it before
> February. But as he's recently underscored, he's not working on a deadline,
> just a desire.
>
> All that said, if we do want to go with a new round, starting from scratch,
> then suggest a sequence and timing. Personally, it might be cleaner—and also
> save time, in the end, to wait out this round, and if it failed as an
> election, *then* start afresh. In this event, then we'd start with the new
> process next week, I'd guess.

sorry for not answering earlier but I was on vacation and missed the
whole discussion ...

I will not vote right now because I believe the currently ongoing vote
shows already a clear signal. Well it is up to Louis to interpret the -1
votes on his own but I personally believe that Louis with his long
history as community manager (how it was called) is somewhat negative
contaminated and I believe he won't be the right PMC chair for the moment.

I propose a second round with hopefully more nominated candidates and it
is not necessary to have a long history in AOO. Just keep in mind the
role of the PMC and think if you can manage it. If you are motivated to
do it and help the project to move forward.

This is my personal opinion only

Juergen