On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <
> dennis.hamil...@acm.org
> > wrote:
>
> > THE TL;DR:
> >
> > I agree.  The extensive lag to availability of 4.1.2 is far more
> pertinent
> > at the level of the Board Report.  The existence of CVE-2015-1774 does
> not
> > change that and should not overshadow it.
> >
> > I think featuring CVE-2015-1774 in the report exaggerates its importance
> > and ignores the deliberation that accompanied our announcement of a
> > straightforward CVE-2015-1774 mitigation, <
> > http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2015-1774.html>.
> >

> I would largely agree, although I still believe the CVE and its mitigation
> should be documented at http://www.openoffice.org/download/ as there is a
> negligible chance any user downloading AOO will see it otherwise and I
> believe the risk is greater than is being recognised.

A reasonable suggestion I think.  As it's been pointed out, there is little
impact on the great majority of our users, but, additional information for
new downloads is a good idea.

> > MORE MUSINGS
> >
> > We are not talking about a defect for which there is a known exploit and
> > there would be very few users, if any, who might encounter one, were one
> > worth developing.
> >
> > While Simon has expressed his own perspective on how dangerous the
> related
> > defect is and what users are exposed to, that is not the consensus of the
> > AOO security team and those who have oversight on its deliberations.
> That
> > does not mean we shouldn't take further steps.  It just means we have
> > concluded there is no emergency.
>

> > It would probably be a simpler and more-fruitful action to simply make
> > this web page, <http://www.openoffice.org/security/>, the bulletins, and
> > their translations more prominent and easily found on our web site.
> >
> > Also, with respect to CVE-2015-1774, I think the population of concern is
> > those who use old (ca. 1999 and earlier) Korean-language HWP documents
> and
> > are happily using OO.o 2.4 through 3.4 releases, remaining ignorant of
> AOO
> > 4.1.2 and already-repaired LibreOffice distributions.
> >

> If a malicious party were to create an HWP file crafted to exploit the
> vulnerability but then distribute it with another extension (say .ODT), AOO
> would still open it. I thus believe that there are two populations of
> concern:
>
>    1. Users of HWP files on any existing version of AOO and predecessors.
>    This is alleged to be a small population, and I have no reason to
> disagree.
>    Were this the only population of concern I would agree that the risk
> would
>    be minimal.
>    2. All users of any distributed version of AOO and predecessors where
>    the documented mitigation has not been applied are also vulnerable to
> the
>    creation of a malicious HWP renamed with a benign file extension. There
> is
>    no known exploit at present, but as the population of users with the
>    vulnerability grows the risk increases.
>
> We can do what we are able to do, when we do it, yet there is little to be
> > done for folks who have no desire or even means to replace their
> OpenOffice
> > software.
> >

> I agree that we can only do what we have the resources to do. However, I
> continue to believe we are not taking all the steps we could to ensure that
> the second population of concern are adequately informed even if we do not
> have the resources to protect them.
>
> S.

MzK

"We can all sleep easy at night knowing that
 somewhere at any given time,
 the Foo Fighters are out there fighting Foo."
                                 -- David Letterman