Hi Jan,

jan i schrieb:
Hi

Can someone please help me understand the implications of this:
https://blog.documentfoundation.org/2015/07/17/open-document-format-odf-1-2-published-as-international-standard-263002015-by-isoiec/

Do we also support ODF 1.2 ?
if yes, then we should also tell it,  if not what are the implications ?

I thought ODF 1.2 was relative old, but I might be wrong.

thanks for any information.

In regard to marketing, read http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/announce/msg00240.html

ODF 1.2 is not old, but the current version of the standard. Work has started for an errata to 1.2 and for a version 1.3, but both are in a very early stage. There are currently only about ten active members in the Technical Committee and they do not work on the standard in full time [in my case all is in my spare time], therefore the progress is very slow.

ODF 1.2 is the native format for documents generated by AOO, but there exists still some elements in ODF 1.2, which AOO does not support.

ODF 1.2 is an implementer driven standard. You should not think, that there is a group of people, who invents the standard, and then application developers will implement it. That is not the way standardization works. What really happens is, that the application developers implement features to satisfy their customers. And when this feature is not only implemented in one application, but in others too, then this feature is considered to go into the next version of the standard. Currently those features are of interest, which improve interoperability with OOXML, and "change tracking" is of special interest.

Therefore the file format is not "ODF 1.2" but "ODF 1.2 extended". AOO writes always "ODF 1.2. extended", LO has an option to write pure "ODF 1.2". The ODF 1.2 standard uses the mechanism of namespaces to make such extensions possible. When such feature goes into the standard, then the code has to be changed to read and write the new standardized element. On reading a document, the element in AOO namespace will then be mapped to the corresponding element from the standard. Such change is not really difficult, because AOO does not work on the file format directly but has its own internal model.

Kind regards
Regina