In looking into some usability issues, I ran into a concern about how Java
is optional yet there are features that absolutely depend on it.  I think
some of those are essential features.

I have been mentioning this in other contexts and I'd like to test community
wisdom for understanding here.

I have opened a question on the ASF Legal-Discuss list:

The essential cases that startled me were: (1) Creating a new Base document,
with default repository, only to find out that I can't edit it or otherwise
make use of the default repository without a JRE, at least on Windows; (2)
The Help | OpenOffice Help (F1) | Find search operation.

If we are not going to install a suitable JRE as part of AOO binary
installers, how should we make it more clear that Java is required for what
might seem to be essential functions?

(There are other matters about how the need for a JRE in a given situation
is made known, but that is separate from a general requirement that a JRE be
present.)

Should advice just be to install a suitable JRE?

Or should we differentiate where Java will be required before an user is
surprised by an announcement that an operation can't be performed because
there is no suitable JRE installed?

 - Dennis