On 11/7/2015 11:41 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
There has been suggestion, and some expressed support, for AOO becoming a
Java application.

I don't want to discuss the merits of this, but how it might be undertaken.
  2. FORKING TO MAKE AOO4J?  One could consider making a project fork.  That
doesn't make sense as an Apache project, going through incubation, having to
do much from scratch.  But one could make an independent fork of a
Java-based AOO (near) workalike. It could be a GitHub project, for example.
If it is to come back to Apache, it must be sort of managed as an Apache
Project from the beginning, especially around license and code provenance
(IP) considerations.  That might be too hard.

For completeness, also consider the following options:

* Direct to TLP. The board has approved moving a new project directly to top level project status without going through the incubator. It requires a proposed PMC most of whose members are also ASF members.

* Spawn a subproject within AOO.

I have followed some of the GitHub discussions on various mailing lists. I think it would be cleaner to keep AOO4J inside Apache and under SVN control.