Am 11/08/2015 12:08 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:

Thanks for bringing this topic again on the table. I remember there was at least 1 request to re-think the distribution policy about the source code files. And also to consider to offer a file with 7Zip compression.

We currently distribute 3 source packages at
https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.2/source/
1) A .tar.bz2 file (209 MBytes)
2) A .tar.gz file (276 Mbytes)
3) A ZIP file (323 MBytes)

The packages are equivalent, so any one would suffice.

As discussed by Regina and Juergen recently, we ship #3 as a convenience
for Windows users but this leads to broken file permissions, so the
recommendation for Windows users is to use #1 or #2, which makes #3
useless.

I suggest, subject to lazy consensus, that we only distribute #1, i.e.,
the .tar.bz2 file.

Reasons:
* If we distribute one source package, it will be clear that we are all
testing and approving the same one

* It would make the release process a little bit smaller and less complex.

* .tar.bz2 offer better compression than .tar.gz

and all types compared together it's even the best compression.

* bzip2 is ubiquitous today, so I don't believe that there are systems
capable of building OpenOffice which don't have bzip2 available
* better compression formats exist, but they are not as widely supported
as the three we are using now, so I'd stick with bzip2

Maybe it's worth it to test also with 7Zip. What I've seen and read (outside of OpenOffice files) is promising.

Otherwise to offer only a .bz2 file is a point I would support.

This of course doesn't apply to 4.1.2, which is already released and
will remain available in all three formats.

Marcus