I have no idea how much ceremony is needed for this.  Let's see what others
have to say.

Thanks for the recreation of the JavaDocs.

I think the lazy consensus could work.  It is a para-/quasi-distribution
employing already-released source.

In a way, you are the distribution manager here (hesitating to use Release in
the formal ASF sense).  I think we'll support whatever you do, so long as you
allow enough time and you keep it in the open as is already your practice.

One thing to consider is to leave enough breadcrumbs so that another committer
could duplicate what you have done.  I don't think that needs to be concurrent,
but is desirable while it is fresh.  (I say this without having looked to see
whatever you already have in this regard.)  This would make this activity
sustainable and also give you a way to mentor a newcomer doing it at a future
time.

Bottom line: Thanks for taking this on and doing everything that makes this an
accountable activity.  This is awesome work, Carl.

 - Dennis