Hi Dennis,

comments below..

[BCC AOO PMC]

Carl, I notice that you are running two concurrent proposals.

Personally, I am conflicted about this.

I think this is admirable and worthy work.  However, it is going to Maven as
effectively a distribution from the project, and that implies an associated
release.  At the same time, we really want this to be a low-friction process.
The lurking question is, what is the minimum that needs to be done to satisfy
the ASF-important ceremonial requirements.  See
<http://apache.org/dev/release.html>.

I'm told there are projects where the PMCs use lazy consensus.  AOO has never
been one of them and the existing policies and practices do introduce a level
of formality for what are AOO releases.

If we were to conduct a release vote, it would be necessary to have a majority
of binding +1 votes by a margin of 3.  That means basically that there is
enough information for folks to independently review the source and confirm
that the specified build process works.  That also means, by the way, that
there is a source-only release packaging with no included jars, etc., that
there are external digests and digital signatures by the release manager (i.e.,
you), and there staging somewhere as a release candidate.

I am copying the PMC on this and requesting that all discussion be here, and
not there, so all committers and interested parties can contribute to the
discussion.  We would also need to know that at least 3 PMC members are
prepared to carry out what is required for casting a binding release vote.

While we wrestle with this, I request that you suspend the Groovy UNO Extension
discussion for now and we continue this for the simple case of the Java
Bootstrap Connector.  I am assuming that this is the simpler case to work
through a release process if we determine that we need to do so.

  - Dennis

[cmarcum]

No problem.
I suspended the Groovy UNO extension proposal.

My hope was to do this through the project but I understand the procedures and how this could cause more work for others than necessary since it's only a small developer tool and not a primary project artifact.

I am more than willing to submit this individually if it makes more sense.

In a larger sense this conversation could also apply to the future builds of the AOO-Netbeans plugin that is made available through NetBeans.org.

Best regards,
Carl