On 03/30/2016 02:24 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
Hi

I've made some improvements to our QA tests and would appreciate some
ideas and feedback.

In r1737135 I committed further changes to build.xml that make passing
the long and painful -Dopenoffice.home=... parameter to ant
unnecessary - if absent, it autodetects it using the <platform>.set.sh
that was previously sourced. This patch get this working on Windows as
well.

In r1737137 I committed the equivalent change to the Java code used by
run and run.bat.

While a bit easier to use now, it is still rather awkward to use the
qa tests. To set test options through ant, you have to pass the
undocumented test.args parameter to ant, eg.
ant -Dtest.args="-tp fvt"
Ant implements that by passing it to the ./run script. You would only
know options like "-tp fvt" exist by running "./run -help". It is
easier to call ./run directly and not go through ant, but ant needs to
be run first to compile everything, and if ant isn't re-run after code
changes, ./run will test out of date code.

Ant seems quite limited - it can't handle arbitrary command line
arguments, while the shell scripts can. Should we be calling ant from
the scripts, instead of calling the scripts from ant?

Damjan

Damjan,

This might be a good application to use Gradle to build and run.

I'm not real familiar with the test procedure but Gradle uses Groovy for scripting and I think it can use existing ant targets also.

I'll try to look into it this weekend.

Thanks for working on this.

Carl