> On 9/2/2016 7:59 AM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
>> OK, counter-point to the other thread... let's talk specifically about what
>> needs to happen next, given that some (plenty|most|all|???) of us want this
>> project to
>> continue moving forward.
>>
>> What has to happen next?  What is the most important thing/things we could
>> be
>> working on?  What could I do *right now* to help move things in a positive
>> direction?
>>
>> How can we attract more developers?  How do we counter the FUD that is
>> already being promulgated in response to the "retirement" discussion?
>>  etc...
>
> The "other thread" is actually liberating. Let's go public with the risk that
> AOO will be shut down, despite the wishes and best efforts of its remaining
> developers.
>
> I would like to see every possible medium used to present one message: "AOO is
> at serious risk of dying, unless we get more volunteer developers, especially
> C++ programmers."

IMO yes, this is a good tactic.  Since the news is getting public, best to
embrace it.

> I know we need other skills as well, but I don't want to dilute or complicate
> that message.

> for
> signing up and organizing new developers. No need for them to start with dev@,
> especially the less experienced developers. Just send an e-mail to
> recruitment@
>
> The message should go out every way it can:
>
> us...@openoffice.apache.org
> OpenOffice forums
> Press release
> memb...@apache.org
> d...@community.apache.org

As stated on the other thread, SourceForge could run messaging as well, to help
get the word out.  Best for the PMC to craft the content of course, but SF could
run it on many places if desired.  E.g. newsletter, announcement banner on
developer pages, social media, etc.  Lots of options.

> We should also strengthen the current download page appeal for developers to
> state the risk of shut down.

Dave Brondsema : d...@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming