On 9/8/16 6:31 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> we have a lot of binaries to upload.
>> Could someone with experience or knowledge of the process tell me a bit
>> about how it is done, how long it takes, and what, if anything, it costs
>> ASF?
>
> Sure. This changed just days before 4.1.2, but it still holds.
>
> 1) You create the binaries. These might be created by different people too. At
> the end, you have a few dozen Gigabytes. Note: this must be done for every
> release candidate; we had 3 for 4.1.2; I recommend choosing things/issues
> wisely
> so that 4.1.3 can aim at having only 1 RC (i.e., getting the first one right).
>
> 2) Whoever is in the best position to do so, uploads the binaries to the ASF.
> This can be done also by multiple people, who upload to different subdirs
> here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/
> For all the 4.1.2 RCs I did it alone, from a good connection, and it took an
> absurd number of hours since the connection was slow on the ASF side. Speed
> may
> be better now (honestly, I don't see how speed could be worse). A good trick
> was
> to upload artifacts to people.apache.org and commit from there: this was much
> faster, but Infra has now disallowed it by (almost) decommissioning
> people.apache.org
>
> 3) Only the final one must be uploaded to SourceForge; I copy/paste from
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2 section "Upload
> builds to mirrors". "Volunteers: Andrea Pescetti - Copy requires just a few
> hours, with the normal rsync instructions shown at
> https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/File%20Management/ (project name
> is openofficeorg.mirror). Set new files as "Latest Version": done by Marcus
> Lange see http://s.apache.org/uaj "; you probably don't have admin permissions
> for the OpenOffice project on SourceForge, but all other members can give you
> admin access. Just ask.

Additionally, as the files are rsync'd up to SourceForge, they start getting
pushed out to SourceForge's mirrors which can take some time too.  You can click
the "i" icon for a file to see how many mirrors it is on so far.

I recommend creating the 4.1.3 directory via the web interface, which will let
you "stage" it, meaning it will be hidden from common visitors.  After all the
files are uploaded and at least several mirrors have them, you can "unstage" the
directory at the official release time.

If you have any issues with it, support staff via
https://sourceforge.net/support should be responsive, or reach out to me
directly and I'll be glad to help.

> 4) On dist, moving from dev to the actual tree is just a matter of svn mv.
> This
> at least is very fast.
>
> 5) Costs: we use standard ASF infrastructure here, and our own time. Costs for
> the ASF are just the ordinary running costs that they wpuld have even if we
> don't release anything. Waste of storage space due to storing in SVN hundreds
> of
> GBytes of non-approved RCs was not an issue last time I spoke to Infra about
> this.
>
> Let me add that Infra provided good support for 4.1.2, especially for RC1 when
> we needed some significant configuration changes to accommodate our RC. These
> changes are now permanent.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Dave Brondsema : d...@brondsema.net